Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Take Five recipe

There are two days I have "must reads".  I'm talking about the the newspaper which seems to be going out of style in the era of internet access EVERYWHERE.  I don't really touch the paper any other day unless it's to hand my husband the sports page, not for any other reason except my lack of time.  But the two days I do make time available for the paper are Thursday's food and wine section and Saturday's garden section.  Those days are my favorite! 

I submitted a recipe to the Take Five column in the Food and Wine section.  These are just five ingredient recipes that are pretty easy to make.  I had submitted one when I was in my early 20's and it was picked, I thought it couldn't hurt to submit one again.  They picked this one too!  They printed this on on my mommas birthday and guess what...

I didn't even see it, until I got my gift card in the mail.





TAKE FIVE                                                                                By CYNTHIA FUREY FOR THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

“My family loves to order cream cheese wontons when we get Chinese takeout, so I put this recipe together so that I can make them at home,” says Jennifer McClellan via e-mail.

CREAM CHEESE WONTONS

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

6 water chestnuts (from 8-ounce can) 2 green onions 1 package (8 ounces) softened cream cheese 1 package (1 2 ounces) small wonton wrappers 1 egg white, beaten Vegetable oil for frying Procedure:

1. Finely chop water chestnuts and green onions. In a medium bowl, mix chopped vegetables with cream cheese. 2. Drop 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture into each wonton wrapper. Brush corners with beaten egg white and press together to seal. 3. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet until it reaches 365 degrees. Fry wontons until they are crispy and golden brown. Drain briefly on paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot.


Recipes submitted for Take Five must contain no more than five ingredients, excluding water, salt, pepper, oils or fat for frying or sautéing. Your recipe can include one commercial mix. When using packaged ingredients, be sure to list the weight (ounces, liters, etc.) of the package or can. Tell us where you got the recipe, why you like it or how you serve it. Include your name, daytime phone number and address. Write: Take Five, The Orange County Register, P.O. Box 11626, Santa Ana, CA 92711-1626, or e-mail recipes to cynthiafurey@yahoo.com. Readers whose recipes are published will receive a $25 gift certificate. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. Recipes cannot be acknowledged or returned. 

Publication:Freedom - Orange County Register;




.Date:Jun 17, 2010

No comments: