Sunday, February 9, 2014

My Winter Garden


2014 Winter garden journal entry
We really haven't had much of a winter here in Huntington beach this year, and I think my garden of delicious edibles thinks it is already Spring... 

I love how Swiss chard lights up my garden box with bright yellow and red stalks!



Cauliflower is a cool-season crop and a descendant of the common cabbage. It is more difficult to than its relatives because it does not tolerate the heat or cold as well.  This is my first year attempting to grow cauliflower, hopefully it does well. 


Love braised bok choy greens in stir-fries


Brussels sprout plants take up a fair amount of space, but the reward is a bountiful harvest of tasty sprouts. The sprouts, which look like mini cabbages, form along the 2- to 3-foot stems under umbrella-like foliage, and need up to 100 days to mature.  Last year Aphids completely attacked my Brussels sprouts and since I grow organically, my options were limited and I ended up just pulling them out.



Lastly I have these beauties!!  They are most definitely confused about the season... Winter tomatoes, Yes!

No comments: