Tuesday, February 9, 2010

start the day with a good breakfast

How come the most vital meal of the day is the meal we put the least thought into? OK so I'm one of those moms who deprives their child of all her breakfast wishes, we don't have pop tarts, cereal (unless it's from Mother's Market of Trader Joe's) and french toast sticks from burger king. I know what kind of mother am I? How could I do that to my child! Hahaha, but you know what I don't think my child minds at all. She actually has formed a more sophisticated palate then that and that makes me a proud mama.

This is how are trip to the farmers market benefits our breakfast. We picked up two bunches of fresh leeks for a buck fifty and we are turning that into an awesome healthy and hearty breakfast dish that will last us all week long.

* 1 cup half-and-half (fridge staple)
* 2 eggs
* 2 pinches kosher salt
* Freshly grated nutmeg
* 2 bunches Sauteed leeks
* Gruyere cheese
* chopped ham (no nitrates)

I use a cast iron skillet to saute my leeks then mix in the rest of the ingredients and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. then voila.

I just cut a slice in the morning and microwave it for about 30 seconds. Now my daughter has a nice warm breakfast that is easy to even eat in the car on the ride to school.

No comments: