Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Our Worm farm



Don't be jealous, I know having a worm farm makes people green with envy! Ha Ha Ha. The other day Mia asked me if I would buy her some worms, yes worms!

Well I have worms in my class for the Kindergartners, they love them. My daughter loves them also and she was very upset with me that I wouldn't let her take my class worms home. So...

I'm not a frequent wall-mart shopper but it was the only place for a one stop shopping trip where I could pick up some worms, McDonald's and cupcake liners. I even tried to make an exchange for the worms that were in my cart for an adorable bunny bubble gum machine. That didn't work.

So now we are the proud owners of a worm farm or Vermicompost.



Vermicompost is the product or process of composting utilizing various species of worms, usually red wigglers, white worms, and earthworms to create a heterogeneous mixture of decomposing vegetable or food waste, bedding materials, and vermicast. Vermicast, similarly known as worm castings, worm humus or worm manure, is the end-product of the breakdown of organic matter by a species of earthworm.






Now we have somewhere to dump our coffee grounds and veggie scraps. And we are also Helping to close the "metabolic gap" through recycling waste on-site.

No comments: